Surely there’s a TLA out there for this…

Got this email from one of our clients the other day:

What do you call the feature that allows your software to switch between French and English without losing the page you are on? Being able to do this without re-navigating the whole Website.

Do you use a term for this?

Now I can throw around techno-babble with the best of them but this admittedly stumped me as to how to describe this in a short concise way other then “you switch languages and it keeps you on the same page”.

As he’s an IT guy himself, and probably has an affinity for the art of techno-babble, I offered up “Context Sensitive Language Switching”.

Anyone know of a more common or simpler term? It’s a strange thing to have to describe as a “feature” (really it should be common sense).

As always comments welcome.

– Ryan

Technorati: , , ,

  • Vincent

    How about “in-place language switch” or “in-place language selection”?

  • Ryan

    hmm, not bad… an “ILS”.

  • Kevin

    How about just a “Language Toggle” which implies flipping between two states without other changes.

  • Ryan

    Yeah, that sort of works.

    Although I think of toggle as switching between the languages – I lose the sense of staying in the same place.

  • Dennis Kim

    Structural Language Toggle?